Hear the Buzz
  • July 21August 19-First day of school!
  • July 21August 13 from 5:30 to 7:30-BJHS Open House

BJHS MEDIA

The Student Publications Site of Bryant Junior High

BJHS MEDIA

BJHS MEDIA

Streaming services battle

Most of us have a show we love and binge.

Whether it’s Ginny & Georgia, Stranger Things, or Supernatural, Netflix is growing. They have developed their own section of shows and movies labeled Netflix Originals. Of the over 3,000, 891 of these were produced in the past year. With it’s steady growth, Netflix is also cracking down on password sharing.

Around the globe, 238.39 million people use Netflix, with 75.57 million of those subscribers located in the United States and Canada. According to Netflix, over 100 million of these people share their passwords with friends and family.

Now, they have set their platform up to only allow one account per household/wi-fi network. As of 2023, users can pay an extra $7.99 to add another person outside of the household.

Hulu seems to be gaining on Netflix. Streaming more cable and classic shows such as Rick and Morty, Only Murders In The Building and Steven Universe, its popularity is rising along with Disney+.

Disney+ is known for old classic Disney movies, shorts, and original series like WandaVision. Their feature GroupWatch allows users to have virtual movie nights with friends and family, while Hulu can bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+.

“I watch iCarly on Netflix,” Presley Phelan, 8, said, “It is my favorite show.”

She also says that Netflix is her favorite streaming service because it has all her favorite movies and TV shows on demand.

Disney+ and Hulu’s rising subscriber count could be linked to their payment plan, as well. The regular monthly payment for Hulu is $7.99 a month ($79.99 a year), with an offer for college students at just $1.99 a month ($23.88 a year). Disney+ is also $7.99 a month. The most popular Netflix plan is $15.49 a month, much higher than the other two platforms. They also offer to bundle them with ESPN+ for $12.99 a month.